Herbal Chicken is also known as herbal emperor chicken. It is a great way to combine lots of different herbs for a quick way of getting all the goodness. It also helps that is super yummy and super easy! We have adapted the recipe slightly for the Western taste buds and to maximise the effectiveness of each herb. You are more than welcome to mix it up too!
The chicken tastes amazing and the herbs are amazing! Here is why:
- Longan fruit: great for anti-ageing and skin health.
- Goji berries: maintains blood sugar.
- Jujube dates: high in antioxidants and vitamins.
- Angelica root: can help hormonal problems, female infertility and menstrual problems.
- Astragalus: boosts the immune system.
- Shiitake mushrooms: have antibacterial properties.
- 1 whole chicken
- 22g longan fruit
- 10g goji berries
- 6 jujube dates
- 5g angelica root
- 15g astragalus
- 18g shiitake mushrooms
- Place the herbs in a heat-proof bowl. Add the water to the herbs.
- Steam this for 5 minutes. Allow the herbs to cool down a little before proceeding to the next step.
- Stuff half of the herbs into the chicken cavity.
- Place the chicken on a sheet of baking paper and place this on a sheet of heavy-duty aluminium foil. Transfer this to a casserole dish. Scatter the remaining herbs on the chicken.
- Pour the water used for steaming the herbs onto the chicken. Seal the foil.
- Steam the chicken for 2 hours.
- When done, carefully open the foil and serve immediately.
- Season with salt to taste, or add some light soy sauce to the sauce and stir to mix. Enjoy!