Black Sesame Seeds (黑芝麻), also known as Hei Zhi Ma, has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for centuries as a powerful health-boosting remedy.
Being used in a wide variety of forms, this herb is packed with a wide range of properties which make it a great option for wellbeing goals.
So, without further ado here's an overview of Black Sesame Seeds and how they could be a great addition to your everyday routine...
What are Black Sesame Seeds?
Black Sesame Seeds are an extremely good source of calcium, high levels of antioxidants, protein, phosphorous, iron and magnesium.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, Black Sesame Seeds have a neutral to sweet property and target the kidney and liver meridians. Their function is to tonify yin jing and blood, build the spirit (shen) and moisten the intestines.
Typically used for medicine, in practice these are most commonly consumed as a food herb as they possess a unique flavour and a pleasing crunchy texture.
What are the potential health benefits?
Being traditional used to treat a variety of ailments, consuming this herb may potentially assist with the following:
- Anti-aging properties
- Stabilise blood pressure
- Help with fibre and cell reinforcements
- Prevent grey hairs
- Boost recovery from illness/fever
- Treat constipation
- Promote regular bowel movements
In addition, this herb is suitable for vegans and gluten-free.
How can I use Black Sesame Seeds?
As eagerly anticipated, here are some great ways to use Black Sesame Seeds in your everyday routine...
To give you a great start to the day, we want to keep those energy levels boosted.
An on-the-go option, coming right up...
What You'll Need (1 serving)
- 1 cup of black sesame seeds
- 250ml milk of your choice (soya milk is our best bet)
- 1 tbsp grounded flaxseed
- 1 tsp maca powder (optional)
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 date (stoned)
- 1 small ripe banana
- Handful of spinach
- 1 tbsp of butter
- Pour the milk into a blender and add the ground flaxseed, maca powder and cinnamon
- Add the remaining ingredients them mix until smooth
- Pour into a glass, then add the black sesame seeds on top
- Serve and enjoy!
Traditional Chinese Doughnuts (Ham Chin Peng)
We're putting a health-boosting twist on an Eastern classic, substituting traditional sesame seeds in favour of black ones packed with herbal goodness!
Here's how to create this delicacy...
What You'll Need (2 servings)
- 1 cup of red adzuki beans
- Small handful of black sesame seeds
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- Cup of water
- Plain doughnuts
Method - Red Bean Paste
- Rinse 1 cup of red adzuki beans, then transfer these to a large pot, cover with water then start to boil over a high heat
- Bring the mixture to boil over a medium-high heat
- Once boiled, drain the water and keep the red adzuki beans in the large pot
- Add some more water to cover the red adzuki beans and bring this to a boil over a medium-high heat
- Once boiled, turn the heat down to medium-low, covering the mixture and continue to simmer for around 1 hour
- Keep checking throughout this time (as you may need to continually add more water to replace the evaporation)
- After this time has elapsed, remove from heat and check the beans. If you can easily crush/mash them in your fingers, they're ready
- Drain the beans, then return them into the same large pot
- Heat these over a medium-low heat whilst adding 1/2 cup of sugar, then mix
- Once the sugar has dissolved, add the other 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/4 tsp of salt to the mixture. Mix constantly throughout to avoid any clumping
- Once the moisture has evaporated, remove from heat and transfer to a baking sheet and allow to cool to room temperature
Method - Filling the Doughnuts
- Open the middle of the doughnut and spread a spoonful of filling inside each doughnut
- Glaze the top of your doughnuts with some sugar and then add your black sesame seeds
- Serve and enjoy!
Adding some finesse to bright and vibrant tastes and colour, seasoning your salads with black sesame seeds is a great way to boost your health easily!
How can I get hold of Black Sesame Seeds?
This herb is available in the following quantities:
Now that you've got some great ways to incorporate this versatile herb into your daily routine, show off your Hei Zhi Ma knowledge with your friends and family!
For any further queries regarding our authentic culinary herbs or any of our products, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be happy to help.